Pregnancy is a tough stage for most women; according to studies, 75 percent of pregnant women may experience health problems including mild swelling of feet and ankles, edema, varicose veins, Deep Vein Thrombosis, back pain, and more. These health issues are usually surfaces during the end of second to the third trimester of pregnancy.
Fortunately, there are ways to reduce and alleviate swelling of feet, uncomfortable varicose veins, edema, back pain, and more by using maternity compression leggings. Here are some useful tips for choosing the best maternity compression leggings, if this is your first time choosing one.
Tip #1: Choose the right fit
One of the common complaints that every expecting mother has when it comes to maternity leggings is either they choose too-tight leggings or a saggy one. If you are going to choose a pair of maternity compression leggings you have to choose the right size; here is how:
- For traditional compression leggings, you should measure the circumference of the ankle, calf, thigh, and hip.
- Check the product’s size chart; the sizes may vary per brand.
Tip #2: Choose the right material
One of the reasons why there are compression leggings that easily rips away or becomes saggy is because of low-quality material. If you are going to purchase maternity compression leggings, choose a brand with a good reputation that guarantees quality-made compression leggings. Choose a compression legging that is made from a combination of spandex and polyester, this guarantees to stretch and fit well.
Tip #3: Choose a graduated maternity compression legging
Graduated compression legging is another type of compression technology that puts the ankle under great pressure promoting better blood circulation, which helps reduce swelling of the feet, varicose veins, and even Deep Vein Thrombosis. Wearing one may make you feel uncomfortable at first but will slowly subside.
Tip #4: Choose the ideal compression legging pressure
One of the essential factors to consider when purchasing a maternity compression legging is choosing the ideal compression legging pressure. Even though compression legging is beneficial for pregnant women, there can be drawbacks too when you choose the wrong compression legging pressure. Here is a list of compression legging according to the level of pressure it can provide:
- 10 mmHg is the lowest and recommended for general use.
- 10 – 15 mmHg is the lightest and the most common type of compression legging. It provides enough pressure on the limbs to reduce and eliminate a few symptoms of pregnancy, which include back pain, swollen legs, and varicose vein.
- 15 – 25 mmHg is a medium-grade compression legging that offers stronger therapy against mild to moderate swelling of feet and varicose veins.
- 26 mmHg and over are considered as medical-grade compression legging that is often prescribed by doctors to patients suffering from extreme cases of leg or feet swelling, leg pain, varicose veins, and other related health issues caused by pregnancy
Maternity compression leggings are very useful for expecting mothers; it helps promote better blood circulation at the lower extremities, which reduces the risk of acquiring varicose veins, swelling of leg or feet, and more. However, it is important to purchase the right maternity compression legging for efficiency and comfort.
If you need additional details on this, you may visit Compression Carl’s website.