Molds are one of the biggest problems of a home. Not only do they spread fast, they are also difficult to get rid of. They thrive in damp and warm places that do not get enough or any ventilation. Molds can grow under rugs or carpets, behind walls, on clothes that are stored in the cabinet for too long, even in surfaces that get wet very often just like the bathroom tiles and the kitchen sink. Getting rid of these molds can be tedious and also bothersome since some grow back if they are not cleaned off properly.
Most of the solutions sold in the market that is said to be effective can do the job. However, they are too strong and they can also be dangerous as they may release toxic fumes that are bad for the health. Many people ask, “is white mold dangerous? Are all kinds of molds harmful?” Molds are toxic and can cause allergic reactions and different respiratory problems when they are ignored. If you are one of those looking for alternative solutions that you can make at home, try to use any of these homemade mixes.
Soap and Water
Using soap and water is still the safest and easiest ways to clean off molds. This solution is effective if the infestation is still in its first stages. You can just add some cleansing soap to water and use the solution to scrub surfaces. Make sure to wipe it dry afterward to prevent new molds from growing.
A lot of experts still use vinegar as it is safe and also very available. White vinegar or apple cider vinegar is usually used to remove and control the growth of most molds on certain surfaces. Just spray the area with the vinegar and wait for an hour. After that, wipe the area with water and let it completely dry. To get rid of the acidic smell of the vinegar, you can use the juice of the lemon, put it in a bowl and let it sit near the area.
This chemical is not as strong as the usual bleach that most products contain. But, it is effective in killing fungus, viruses and also bacteria. What you need to do is spray the infested area with a 3% hydrogen peroxide concentration and leave it to saturate for about ten minutes. Scrub the area after and wipe the surface to get rid of the residue. If you are working on delicate areas like fabric, you might want to be careful because it might damage the material.
This ingredient is also as available as vinegar and also as safe. Add a small amount of the powder, about ¼ tablespoon, to water and mix it well until all the powder has been dissolved. Spray the area with the solution and scrub it to remove stains and mold. Afterwards, rinse it with clean water to remove the residue. Spray the area again and let it dry. Since the baking soda can absorb moisture, it can prevent new molds from growing and spreading.